Friday 25 May 2012

Vivarium 1 Project at Knox Mountain


A couple of weeks ago I applied for a spot in the Vivarium 1 project hosted by the Eco Art Incubator (http://ecoartincubator.com). For four days, 15 artists from a variety of disciplines come together to discover and engage with Knox Mountain in Kelowna alongside Beth Carruthers and indigenous elders, recreational hikers, while also perusing old archives. Over the four days, the artists will work in groups to create a project proposal based on the inspiration of scar sites on Knox Mountain. If the projects prove successful in their innovative nature, one could be funded by the Eco Art Incubator and put into action. Pretty much, this sounded like something I would be absolutely stoked to be able to be a part of and could be super beneficial for my career. 
Sorting wood near the lake edge at the bottom of Knox Mountain

Amongst all the beauty of the driftwood, cool lake, and loons, is the plume of industry.
That was why I was pretty bummed when I heard that I hadn’t been chosen. A big part of being an artist though is accepting that you are going to be rejected way more times than you are going to be accepted. And if that isn’t the case for you, then you are an ass. Anyways, I was really honoured and excited when I heard that I was on the short list in case any one wasn’t able to make the workshop. 
Cliff face at Knox Mountain. I can't wait to explore the scar sites!
Out of the blue, after a long and stressful day dealing with landlords and the never ending situation of finding a good home, I received an email saying someone had to step out of the workshop and I was in! I’m so excited for the opportunity, kind of nervous to be away from Lennon for four full days, and eager to be in a creative environment working collaboratively with other artists. It has been awhile since I have been able to be Erin the artist, not Erin the mama, so this is a much needed reminder of who I am and who I will always be: a creator, a writer, a performer, and a member of my natural and human community at large.

The workshop runs from June 7-10. I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes! Right now I need to sleep on ideas for an object that represents myself in the context of the workshop. Whew, creative energy and go!

No comments:

Post a Comment